This healthy take on burgers and fries swaps in chopped mushrooms for some of the meat in the burger patties, to cut back on calories and saturated fat.
Ingredients – 4 servings
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (2 large), cut lengthwise into ½-inch wedges
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 12 ounces 90%-lean ground beef
93% Lean Ground BeefShop Walmart’s weekly ad : $19.53, 4.5 lbs.
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh button mushrooms
- 4 reduced-calorie whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha, divided
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss sweet potatoes with oil and ⅛ tsp. each salt and pepper in the prepared pan. Bake, turning occasionally, until tender and brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ground beef, mushrooms, and the remaining ⅛ tsp. each salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Shape the mixture into 4 patties, about 4 inches in diameter.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the burgers, covered, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F, 8 to 10 minutes total. Toast buns on the grill.
- Combine mayonnaise and 1 tsp. Sriracha in a small bowl. Combine ketchup and the remaining 1 tsp. Sriracha in another small bowl. Spread the mayonnaise sauce on buns and top with the burgers, lettuce, tomatoes and onion. Serve with the sweet potatoes and the ketchup sauce for dipping.
- Serving size: 1 burger + about 10 sweet potato wedges
- Per serving: 408 calories;15 g fat(4 g sat); 11 g fiber; 45 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 58 mg cholesterol; 12 g sugars; 619 mg sodium;
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3
- Exchanges: 2½ starch, 2 fat, 2 lean protein, 1 vegetable
This post is also available in: Português (Portuguese (Brazil))